Woodrow is recruiting for the position of field ornithologist. This post is ideal for someone with consultancy experience in an ornithology role looking to progress their experience with a dynamic team.
The principle role will be to assist the ornithological lead in the company in achieving the highest standard in our ornithological work by ensuring compliance with best practice and appropriate guidelines and managing our approach to ornithological surveys across a range of project types.
As an ecologist, you will also be expected to cover other ecological disciplines within your range of expertise, such as conducting site walkovers to survey for badgers and assessing habitat features for bat roost potential.
We are looking for a self-starter who can take on a variety of roles, with primary consideration given to your ability to conduct bird surveys, with consideration also given to your experience in undertaking other ecological surveys and skills in data handling and reporting writing.
Woodrow is an award-winning environmental consultancy working across the island of Ireland. We offer a wide-range of ecological services and have a large suite of technologically-advanced field survey equipment.
The company’s reputation for high quality professional advice ensures the sustainable advance of infrastructure projects across the island of Ireland in line with legislation and requirements of national wildlife and habitats protection agencies.
We currently have an 18-strong team of dedicated permanent staff members, including a Principal Ecologist, four Senior Ecologists, two Ecologists, seven Assistant Ecologists and one Graduate Ecologist. Our staff includes people with specialisms in botany, birds, bats, terrestrial mammals, aquatic ecology and ECoW.
Work will be varied and is likely to include the following:
• Undertaking ecological, primarily bird, surveys,
• Co-managing ornithology field-work and sub-contractors,
• Writing ecological reports such as Ecological Impacts Assessments / Natura Impact Statements,
• Project management, including oversight of ecological surveys and client projects,
• Attendance and participation of training programmes as per CPD requirements,
• Build and maintain client relationships.
Please note that work may require lone-working, anti-social hours and travelling to survey sites across the island of Ireland. Relevant H&S policies have been adopted by Woodrow to safeguard our employees to the best effect in this regard.
Main skills required:
• Highly developed ornithology survey skills, including strong bird identification skills,
• Excellent report writing skills,
• Excellent written, oral and interpersonal communication skills,
• Knowledge of legislation applicable to Northern Ireland and Republic of Ireland,
• Ability to work on own initiative, to liaise with clients and meet tight deadlines,
• Experience to QA and assess ecological requirements,
• Ability to guide and support sub-contractors,
• Cognisance of H&S requirements and Staff Wellness Policies,
• Ability to handle data using MS Excel and ArcGIS or open-source GIS.
• An experienced ornithologist with strong bird identification skills and field work experience,
• A minimum of a degree or equivalent in ecology or a related biological/environmental science discipline,
• Full, preferably clean driving license
• Access to own vehicle,
• Safe Pass or equivalent,
• H&S training or Emergency First Aid,
• CIEEM Membership,
• Ability to undertake dynamic risk assessments for fieldwork tasks, in particular the ability to assess the risk posed by any livestock encountered during surveys.
• Courteous and professional manner in dealing with colleagues, clients, statutory bodies and representatives at all times.
• Meticulous in collation and filing of data as required,
• Careful and considerate driver,
• Happy to work within a small team and flexibility to take on various tasks as required eg. marketing and promotions; making a cuppa in turn!
The Woodrow Offices are located in the centre of Ballisodare village, Co. Sligo, c. 9km from Sligo Town. Ballisodare is at the edge of Ballysadare Bay SAC, a large estuarine area that links to many fantastic beaches and coastal areas to the west and north. Next door to the offices is a gym with a 22m pool.
The office location is ideally located for those who want to enjoy the environment of the North West of Ireland, including hiking, swimming, surfing etc. County Sligo has much to offer those who love the outdoors, arts, culture and gourmet food. https://www.lookwest.ie/life/sligo/
We are offering
• A competitive salary,
• Relocation expenses,
• Occupational pension,
• Work clothing allowance,
• Shared Access to Woodrow’s fleet of Company Vehicles,
• Training and career mentoring to support your continued development,
• Potential to relocate to an affordable area with a high quality of living; and,
• The chance to work with a dedicated, dynamic team of ecologists.
Please send a covering letter & CV to RecruitmentIE@Apemltd.ie by 10 December 2021.
Please note that applications will be reviewed as they are received, and the position may be filled before the closing date as a result.
If you would like more information, or to discuss the job further please e-mail email@example.com or contact (+353) 087 745 2141.
Will & Sharon